In covenant with Christian families, Unity Christian School teaches students the Truth from a Christ-centered perspective for lives of discipleship.
In 1924 a two-room schoolhouse was built on the corner of 14th Avenue and 8th Street. Jacob Van Wyngarden was principal of the forty-two students. In 1924 they also joined the National Union of Christian Schools (NUCS), now called Christian Schools International (CSI)
Sixteen freshmen began classes at Unity Christian High School on August 24, 1981, sharing facilities with Community Christian School. Their teacher was Dick Zylstra. The first graduation exercises occurred on May 24, 1985.
When Unity took over River City Day Care and Preschool, it more than doubled. As a result, River City Day Care and Preschool was purchased in January of 2005, and the name was eventually changed to Unity Christian Preschool and Childcare (UCPC).
In the summer of 2016, Unity closed down the deteriorating elementary building on 11th Avenue and consolidated Kindergarten through 12th grade into the 10th Avenue building while they raise funds and prepare for a future move to a larger facility in Clinton, Iowa.